Did you know that nearly 4.5 million Canadians visit a chiropractor each year? There are about 8,400 licensed chiropractic doctors practicing in Canada. How do you pick the right one for you?
Chiropractic Therapy vs. Physiotherapy
Chiropractic care is often confused with physiotherapy. Before you set out to look for a chiropractor, you need to understand the basic differences between the two treatments and choose the right one for your condition.
- Physiotherapy focuses on body mobility to prevent or treat injury, chiropractic care is more curative, often combining alternative treatments as well to manipulate the spine. Chiropractic therapy is based on the scientific theory that the musculoskeletal structure needs to be properly aligned for the body to heal naturally. It involves hands-on technique for correcting spinal alignment.
- In physiotherapy, you are hooked to machines that monitor you, as well as spinal manipulation. Charges are based on the machine tests as well as for hands-on therapy. Chiropractic care is monitored by your practitioner. A lot depends on the personal level of the treatment and expertise. In chiropractic care, spinal manipulation is a well-studied technique that comes from intensive training and knowledge in the field. Apart from the initial X-ray costs, the treatment usually costs less per session.
- For faster neck and back pain relief, chiropractic treatment is said to be more effective than physiotherapy, more often than not. Chiropractic relaxes the muscles and spine, treating soft tissue rather than the bone. Physiotherapy takes several sessions to provide relief. It is said to be more effective for osteoporosis, inflammatory arthritis and spinal cord compression, and disorders that do not benefit from chiropractic spinal manipulation.
Factors to Consider to Find a Good Chiropractor
If you are struggling to find the right chiropractor, below are a few helpful tips to make it easier:
- Search online for those in your neighborhood or close to your area. Look up their area of expertise and any research project they may be involved in. Choose one who is specialized in your ailment.
- A licensed expert is imperative in the healthcare profession. Check accreditations for chiropractic doctors and see if the ones you shortlist meet the requirements. Chiropractic doctors graduate from nationally accredited institutions through 4-year doctor graduate school programs.
- Find out the techniques they use. Testimonials can throw more light on the most popular treatments and cure.
- Many chiropractors offer additional treatments that help you manage your pain faster such as acupuncture, massage therapy, cryotherapy, heat therapy, nutritional counseling and interferential electrical muscle stimulation. Try to find one that offers some of these additional treatments to quicken your recovery.
- Seek out someone who has the patience to listen, answer your questions and don’t over promise. It is important to find someone responsive and considerate to build a rapport with, especially if you’re in for a long-term treatment plan. Your comfort is key to quick recovery, so you don’t feel the need to look elsewhere.
- Affordability plays an important part too. Discuss costs upfront so you have a clear idea to make an informed choice. Check if it can be covered at least to some extent under your insurance plan or through your employer.
- When you finally visit the one who meets the above requirements, ask about the estimated sessions for your treatment plans so you are clear and prepared financially and emotionally. Make sure you’re not faced with any unexpected costs.
Dundas Chiropractic: Oakville’s Best Chiropractic, Naturopathic and Orthotics Centre
Dundas Chiropractic is Oakville’s most trusted center for back pain and ailments related to back pain. Our reputed team of doctors and staff offer a variety of treatments and therapies to get each of our patients in optimal condition as quickly as possible. We do everything we can to make sure you’re at ease and well informed about your treatment plan. We are just a call away for a quick cure at affordable costs.